It is an undeniable fact that Google applications on smart devices store location information. How to disable Google location tracking in this context? We explain in detail.
As a result of the importance given to privacy recently, users are turning off location history in their Google account settings. In this way, although it is thought that Google services can no longer track anyone, the situation is not so. As the Associated Press stated in a 2018 study , turning off this setting seems like a one-to-one solution, but some Google apps continue to store your location data in particular. For example, when you only open the Google Maps application or use Google through any application, your approximate location is recorded on the technology giant’s servers with a timestamp . However, from research to the present, Google has made it easier to control the data recorded by providing a more transparent experience regarding location tracking.
Turning off just the location history we mentioned at the beginning removes the data of your current location and time only from the Google Maps timeline feature. In addition, it has been announced that some location data will be saved in the web and application activity function, even if the location history is turned off on Google’s support page on the subject . Google clearly says it uses this data to make its services more personal and never shares it with advertisers. But if you’re still not comfortable, you can easily stop Google location tracking with a few steps, preventing the company from knowing where you are 24/7.
Before we move on to what the steps are, it’s worth noting that there are some disadvantages to turning this setting off . Because with location tracking, Google uses location data to help users find businesses or see personalized ads in their city instead of another city. Of course, it is very important to provide the option to disable it, as this may disturb some people. Let’s move on to the steps.
What You Need To Do To Turn Google Location Tracking Off Completely
- Access google.com from your desktop or mobile browser.
- Log in to your Google account in the top right and click the Manage Your Google Account button.
- Click on Data and Personalization on the left .
- On the page that opens, click the Manage your activity controls button under the Activity controls heading .
- On this page you will see an area called Web & App Activity . Toggle the switch located there to the off position . Before you turn off the setting, a warning text will appear and when you click the Pause button, Google will not save your future location data.
How Does Closing Web & App Activity Block Google’s Data Storage?
In summary, stopping Web & App activity prevents Google from using location beacons associated with certain actions . There is no data storage in this way. Also, when the setting is turned off, your approximate location and environments remain hidden. But keep in mind that Google will still need access to your location to use certain services effectively, such as the maps app.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Turning off Location Tracking?
When Google location tracking is disabled, it is possible to see ads and search results that are irrelevant to you on smart devices and computers . In short, you will stay away from the personalized experience of Google services. If you don’t mind using your data for such actions, turning off location tracking makes it harder for Google to guess what you care about . On the other hand, if you are a user who values privacy above all else, disabling location tracking will not cost you anything , on the contrary , you will have access to a safer internet experience .
As a result, you may lose personalization options by protecting your privacy, or you may still see ads and search suggestions relevant to your usage patterns instead of random, unfiltered information. The decision is yours anyway .
Will Previously Saved Data Be Deleted When Google Location Tracking is Stopped?
No, your saved data will not be touched. Disabling tracking prevents Google from storing future location information . If you want to delete your old location histories, you can follow the steps below:
- Go to the Google home page and click on the profile icon in the upper right corner to get the Manage Your Google Account option.
- Select Data and Personalization on the left toolbar .
- Under the activity controls heading, go to the Location History section.
- On the page that opens , click on Manage History . Google will direct you to the timeline.
- In the lower right corner, click on the Settings icon just to the left of the Map button and click on Delete All Location History .
It should be noted that Google also activates the automatic deletion of location data older than 18 months in your account by default. In this way, you do not waste time deleting your location data from ancient times.