FPS for Windows 7, 8, 10 is one of the most common problems that gamers encounter.
WHAT IS FPS?
FPS “Frame Per Second / Number of Images per Second” means the number of frames per second that is transferred to the screen.
The most important feature for the gamer in a video game is sound, image and speed. While sound depends mostly on the sound system of the computer, the image and speed depend on the main hardware units of the computer. Here, the unit that measures your computer’s processor, ram and video card performance is called FPS (Frame Per Second / Frame Per Second) .
How many should FPS be?
The FPS value you get in games should be at least 25 for a game . You can easily play this game when FPS 25. However, the desired FPS value for games should always be 30 in almost every game .
In Windows , you may encounter FPS problems depending on your processor, ram and video card performance . The easiest way to improve your computer’s performance is to tune your system.
If you want to improve your performance on Windows , these tips can help you get a more impressive graphics performance from your games.
How to increase FPS on Windows 7, 8, 10?
- Update your drivers
- Tune Windows for best performance
- Reduce your Screen Resolution
- Configuring Vertical Synchronization
- Overclock your computer
- Install Razer Cortex
- Close background processes and resource consuming programs
- Scan for malware
- Check your disk for errors
Method 1: Update your drivers
A driver is a program that helps you communicate with your hardware resources.
To get the best results from your graphics card, you should update your drivers with the latest bug fixes and optimizations and download them from the manufacturer’s website.
- Updating the drivers manually is very annoying, so we recommend downloading the Tweakbit Driver Updater to do it automatically .
Thus, by downloading and installing the wrong driver versions, you can prevent file loss and permanent damage to your computer.
First, you need to define your video card name and manufacturer. Pictures are provided below to better understand what to do.
- Open a Windows run window ( press [Windows Key] + R ).
- Type dxdiag instead of search and hit enter or complete.
- Say yes to the alert . If the screen does not turn on, try again and press yes to circumvent the problem .
- You will see the DirectX Diagnostic Tool screen.
- Note the name and manufacturer of your card by going to the Display tab .
- Nvidia graphics card:
- ATI video card:
- Intel video card (version 1):
- Intel video card (version 2):
Method 2: tune Windows for best performance
- Right click Computer and press ‘ properties ‘ .
- Select Advanced system settings from the left column .
- In the new window Advanced , select the tab and Performance section of Settings, then click.
- ‘Adjust for best performance Choose and Apply say OK , then press . After selecting this setting, you can apply it manually by ticking and opening the boxes for the setting you want.
Method 3: Reduce your Screen Resolution
You can also increase the FPS rates by reducing the graphics settings. Reducing the screen resolution can increase the FPS rate depending on your hardware.
In most cases, lowering the resolution speeds up the game. The best solution is to adjust the resolution using the graphics settings of the games.
Method 4: Configure Vertical Sync
If you’re using an AMD graphics card, you might want to tweak the Vertical Sync setting , which is AMD’s equivalent of G-Sync .
If the FPS drops drastically to 20 frames per second, enable Vertical sync on .
Note that Vsync may also limit FPS rates higher than 60MHz. In this case, disabling Vsync if it is on may improve FPS.
You can configure Vsync as follows:
- Launch the AMD control panel> go to the Gaming tab
- Select 3D Applications to open 3D options.
- Scroll down to the Frame Rate Control settings> scroll down to where the Wait Vertical Refresh option is located.
- Select Always Off> Choose Apply.
Method 5: overclock your PC
What is Overclocking?
Overclocking is to increase the speed of a component per clock and run it at a higher speed than it was designed to run. This usually applies to the CPU or GPU, but other components can also be overclocked.
Increasing the clock speed of a component causes it to do more operations per second, but also generates additional heat. Overclocking can help you get more performance from your components, but they will often need additional cooling and maintenance.
If you are a casual gamer, we do not recommend this solution. However, if you are an avid gamer and know what you are doing, you may want to overclock your computer to see if this action increases your FPS rate .
You can use one of the following overclocking software for Windows 10 .
CPU-Z ve GPU-Z
EVGA Precision X 16
MemSet and CPU-Tweaker
ASUS GPU Tweak
SAPPHIRE TriXX Utility
Keep in mind that overclocking your computer can cause overheating problems. To avoid this problem, if you own a gaming laptop, you can install a cooling software and use a cooling pad .
Method 6: Install Razer Cortex
Razer Cortex is a free game booster that optimizes your PC for gaming . As Razer explains, this tool improves your computer’s performance by managing and closing processes and apps you don’t need while gaming.
This way, games can access and use computer resources and RAM , resulting in higher frames per second and smooth gaming performance.
The Razer Cortex also comes with a built-in FPS counter that shows the FPS your system is delivering and gives you real-time feedback as you change your game settings.
Using Razer Cortex: It is very simple. The tool is automatically activated when you press the play button. When you sign out of the game, the software automatically restores your computer as before.
Method 7: Turn off background processes and resource consuming programs
Your computer can have a lot of resource consuming processes and you do not need to run applications that you are not currently using (eg chat applications, browsers, etc.).
- Position the bar , right-click and Task Manager choose.
- In the Processes tab, terminate all applications you are not using except system processes .
You can also browse Add / Remove Programs to remove software you don’t use.
- Go to Control Panel
- Remove Programs or Programs and Features Select
- Search for the unwanted software and click ” Uninstall “.
Method 8: Scan for malware
Malware installs programs on your computer without your permission to steal data and damage your system. You can find many malware removal software such as Malwarebytes on the internet .
You can also remove real-time protection software such as Microsoft Security Essentials, as they slow down your system .
Method 9: Check your disk for errors
In Windows, you can run a disk check using Command Prompt .
Command Prompt manage the launch and chkdsk C: / f Enter command and then the Enter key. Replace C with the hard disk partition letter.
- As a quick reminder, if you can’t use the / f parameter, chkdsk will display a message that the file needs to be fixed, but it won’t fix any errors. Chkdsk D: detects the / f command and to repair physical problems affecting your repair drive, also run the / r parameter.
- In Windows 7, 8 and 10, go to Computer> hard drives> right click on the drive you want to check> select Properties> Tools tab . Under the ‘Error checking’ section , click Check .
We hope the solutions listed above will help you increase the FPS rate. If you’ve come across other workarounds to improve FPS, you can tell us more about these solutions in the comments section below.